Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Trends-day Wednesday 7/2


Here is the continuation of last Wednesday’s post. Last week I introduced and gave you #12-9 in the top twelve food trends of 2014 as listed by Baum and Whiteman, international food and restaurant consultants. Today I will give you the next four, #8-5, on the list. Are you ready?

8. The Color Green

With more and more people becoming both environment friendly and more health conscious, new food attitudes and new chains are popping up. So many people are now getting rid of gluten from their diet, more people are diabetic, more people are struggling with weight issues, more people are becoming vegetarian and vegan, and some people are giving into the guilt and pestering of nutritionists. All of this has culminated in the rejection of fatty and unhealthy food and the embracing of more green and natural foods. With many fast food and other chains not catering to that lifestyle change, it has left an opening for other new businesses to fill. Sweetgreen is a chain based in Washington, which serves mainly salads and wraps that are loaded with greens and light on the animal protein, if it’s wanted.

Currently, many chains and restaurants are just now coming around to introduce items to suit these new healthy desires. For example, Chipotle now has the Sofritas option, which is tofu marinated in their special blend of spices. On the other end of the price spectrum, many high caliber restaurants are also introducing vegetarian options. However, it seems the vegetarian lifestyle is quite expensive. Restaurant Daniel has a three course vegetarian meal for $116, and in Chicago Grace offers a veggie menu for $185. This is yet another reason I do not see myself becoming a vegetarian any time soon; that’s not to mention that I love meat…

Now I’m all for eating healthily, but that doesn’t mean we should do away with the bad stuff. Chemical ridden and fake food, yes; but a good natural greasy hamburger is sometimes necessary…especially after a night of drinking, right? And I will go on record saying I am against any and all legislation that tries to force you to eat healthily. If someone wants to make poor decisions and fill his/her body with chemically processed food, it is his/her right to do so. Do you think you could live on only salad and completely healthy food forever? Do you like this trend, or do you find it a bit self-righteous?

7. Butter’s Not Enough…

Apparently, this is the year of “creative spreads”. Restaurants are no longer just giving you ordinary butter on the table. They’re turning up the volume by giving items like tomato jam, black garlic mostarda, rosemary hummus, and even salsa butter. In reality, the sky is the limit with these spreads. You can really change the flavor profile of a dish and dress up a breadbasket or cheese board with the addition of these items. I think it’s very creative. However, it may get a bit too creative for me when you offer me whipped chicken liver butter… No thank you… I guess I’d try it once, but chances are I won’t eat it again… What do you think? Are some of these ideas fun and interesting to you? Or is it just too much, and you would prefer pure and ordinary butter?

6. Bubbling and Fizzing Beverage Trends

This trend has some subsections…

Tea: As we’ve seen by the obnoxious shaken tea commercials, Starbucks is expanding their teas. Also, Teavanna, is a retail store that obviously sells all things tea related, but recently they opened their first bar in Manhattan. There they will make your tea and they also have food for sale, so it’s a tea-house instead of a coffee-house. As a side not, I found it interesting that research has shown that people are more likely to buy a food item with tea than with coffee, so the tea bar also serves food products. I love tea, so I say bring it on.

Vermouth: Artisan bartenders are exploring the use of different types of vermouths. Apparently, Spain is where the hot vermouth action is right now. I’ve never been a fan of vermouth, but as I age and my taste buds change, I notice my taste in alcohol is expanding. But I’m fighting it every step of the way. I don’t wanna drink old man drinks!

Soda: I’m sure you’ve heard of the Sodastream. It’s gaining popularity now that people realize they can experiment and create their own types of soda at home. They can even carbonate lemonade and cocktails at home. Restaurants are crafting their own natural and artisanal sodas with fruit infusions. Again, Starbucks, who seems to be on the edge of every trend, is testing in some stores the use of the option to carbonate your teas and coffees. I think this goes hand-in-hand with the healthy trend. Many people like soda, but Coke and Pepsi are so full of chemicals and other unnatural stuff that isn’t healthy, and people try to stay away from them. In response, the natural sodas, which have been around a while, are becoming more mainstream.

Sour Beer: Beer crafters are adding wild yeasts to their beers and aging them in wood. The resulting product is a sour beer, sometimes very sour. They are gaining popularity with beer enthusiasts, and their acidic nature pairs well with BBQ. I’m not a beer person, so I think I’ll stay away from this trend.

Pressed Juices: Again with the health trend, more people are frequenting juice bars. They don’t want to take the time to eat an apple or carrot, so they have someone juice it for them, and they take it to go. Sure, they’re not getting the important fiber from the fruits and vegetables, but that’s why they probably eat bran cereal. These pressed fruit juices are also popping up in cocktail use. I love juice, but I don’t think I will pay a huge amount for one cup of it. At least with coffee you’re getting some caffeine. With these juices you’re getting all the sugar with none of the fiber. I don’t get it.

Bar Culture: Yet again, healthiness enters the picture. Bartenders are dispensing with the chemical filled mixers and additives in favor of natural and “farm-to-shaker” ingredients. They are also starting to use non-sugar sweeteners. They are coming up with gluten-free versions of some drinks. Of course, Bethenny Frankel truly started the health-conscious cocktail movement a few years ago with her Skinnygirl brand. It’s been so successful that people are copying her products and taking note that the idea sells. Bartenders are also starting to use flavored ice cubes in their shakers and flavored essences to mist over the finished cocktail. Everyone who knows me knows I love a cocktail, so I’m super excited to try some of the new creative and even healthy cocktail ideas.

5. Fishy Fish

The redheaded stepchild of fish is coming back with a vengeance. People are ordering fresh and salt-packed anchovies and sardines again. They’re not just relegated to the blender to flavor Caesar dressing anymore. (Yes, for those of you that didn’t know, the strong taste in Caesar dressing is anchovies. Don’t say you hate it all of a sudden now that you know that. Obviously, the cheap bottled Caesar dressings use a chemical substitute rather than real anchovies, and I think you can really taste a difference… but I digress…) Anchovies and sardines are now being put atop pasta and salads. Mackerel is also making a slight comeback. I’ve never eaten an anchovy or a sardine by itself. Like I said before, I’ll try anything once. I like real, fresh made-from-scratch Caesar dressing, so maybe I’ll like anchovies. My grandfather, who grew up during The Great Depression, use to put sardines on top of his pizzas. He did that until the day he died, even when he could afford to use other meat. So they must be appealing at some level. Would you eat them?


Next Wednesday I’ll conclude the list with the top four food trends of the year. Let me know what you think. Should I talk more about food? How about interior design? Or do you prefer the strict fashion topics more?

1 comment:

  1. On eating healthy: It sorta depends on how you define healthy. I bake from scratch using real ingredients and make my own yogurt and ice cream. Do I feel deprived? Not at all! Is it healthy? Well, the fake chemicals are gone, but healthy to some people doesn't include fat, or sugar, or meat, all of which have a place at my table.

    Bubbly drinks: Last summer in Portland I went to a restaurant (I want to say it was Thai) that had some of those fancy sodas, and they were really good. I highly recommend them! No opinion on the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete