Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Fashion News


Prada’s ‘design your own shoes’?

According to Vogue, Prada is offering a new service to “design your own shoes”. At first, I was confused. People buy Prada because they like what the label designs. If I have to design my own shoes, why would I pay the high price of Prada since I just did their job? However, upon further reading, I discovered this is a misnomer. In fact, you are not “designing” your own shoes; you are “customizing” your own shoes. You pick a style designed by Prada, and you add your own flare to it, including the option of adding your initials under the Prada label. Talk about one-of-a-kind! I think this is awesome, but I wonder what the limitations are, and I’m scared to think what the price may be. Unfortunately, this is only a two-day event. I imagine if they extended it, it would become too much work for their manufacturer. What are your thoughts? What would you want as a specialized touch on your Prada shoes?

Engagement ring faux pas

This is an interesting story. According to Vogue, model Esther Cañadas broke off her engagement, and now her ex-fiancé is suing her to get the extremely expensive, $300,000, ring back. Etiquette says that if the woman breaks off the engagement, she should give back the ring, but if the man ends things, she is allowed to keep the ring. I think Emily Post is rolling in her grave about this one. Personally, I don’t care who ends the engagement; when there’s a $300k ring in the mix, it should go back to the party who purchased it. I understand that Esther could have had very good reason to break it off, but no matter what (or whom) he did, give him back the ring! If anything, you’ll get rid of a blatant reminder of something so negative in your life. If you were involved in a situation like this, what would you do?

Imitation is the highest form of flattery

If you’ve seen RHONY in the past few weeks, you know that writer (not fake or pretend writer like one of her one-legged co-stars) and overall fabulous woman Carole Radziwill disagrees with my title for this story… But I digress… Apparently, in a new production of Rameau’s opera Platée, the story is interpreted as involving a fashionably challenged character, and other characters resemble Karl Lagerfeld and Coco Chanel. I’d definitely love to see that. Coco Chanel is, in my opinion, the ultimate fashion legend. The question is, is this imitation meant as flattery or satire? Would you pay to see this version of the opera?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions. I’ll at least pretend like I care. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment