Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Trends-y Wednesday



According to Glamour Magazine, there are 10 fashion trends for spring 2014. I’ll give my thoughts on each of them here. If you want to see their take along with some pics of each of the trends head to the following website:

Pretty Pastels:
I understand the appeal of pastels. In fact, I’m wearing a plaid pastel shirt as I type this. But I don’t understand wearing ONLY pastels, especially ONE pastel. It’s so muted and understated. You want some bright color somewhere to signify spring. When I look at the pictures of the runway models in pastel and white, I see dull and sad Easter eggs that parents were forced to dye after the kids got bored with the process. It just reads sad to me.

Boxy, Cropped Jackets:
I think these can look cool, but if you look at the photos of the runway models, they simply don’t. They don’t look cool or sexy or comfortable. So what’s the point? I have no snarky remarks about this trend…that’s how much I care about it…

Contrast Collar Button-downs:
No no no no no no… I CAN’T! These women look like they either forgot to do laundry and borrowed a shirt from the boyfriend, or they spilled red wine on their dress after a long drunken night and were forced to make the walk of shame wearing a dirty shirt of the nameless man she just left passed out in the bed. Either way it’s trashy. Oh, and did I forget to say... NO!!

Wide-leg Trousers:
Finally something I can get behind! In a dress pant these can look super chic. In a jean they can look comfortable and stylish. Bring back the bell-bottoms and dump the skinny jeans, at least for the moment. Sorry hipsters, you’re no longer in style…although that probably makes you immensely happy.

“Cool” Bomber Jackets:
Okay, I had to revise the title that Glamour gave to this one… In no way are bomber jackets “cool”, unless you want to look like you’re wearing a “Member’s Only” jacket or like you’re dating a varsity football player. And if you’re older than 25, the latter would be extremely creepy. Not cool, not chic, not fashionable.

Tea-length Skirts:
There is definitely a place for these in a woman’s wardrobe. They are tasteful and can be quite beautiful. They can be used for something business casual, church, a garden party, etc. I do think the name needs updating though. The term “tea-length” is not applicable in the US, and I doubt women in the UK wear a skirt everyday to tea.

Sweater Dressing:
I must admit I don’t understand this trend. Wearing a sweater in the spring is a foreign concept to me. This is probably because I grew up in the south where spring lasted a week and then the hell fire of summer started. So I feel strange commenting on this idea when I can’t wrap my head around it… Needless to say, I’m intrigued…

Tuxedo-Meets-Athletic-Striped Trousers:
I love it! I think it’s innovative and stylish. Women wearing tuxedo pants doesn’t sound very interesting, but these are tailored to fit a woman’s leg, so they are tapered toward the bottom. You can dress it up or dress it down. You could easily wear it to work and look professional, but also wear them out to drinks and look more casual, all without having to go home to change. Great idea!

The Shift Blouse:
Is anyone else seeing a trend here (pun not intended; I just got lucky with that one)? These blouses are loose and boxy and unflattering. Is it no longer cool to look sexy and show off your figure? Why are women killing themselves at the gym to become stick figures if they are going to dress in something that hides that hard work? It’s like a toothpick wearing a tent. I don’t get it.

Collarless Coats:
This is a good idea, and as can be seen in the pictures of some of the models, it can be beautiful. However, you must be careful, lest you appear to be doctor or scientist who wanted to spice up her lab coat and then decided to wear it out in public (as you can see in the left-hand picture). You have been warned!

Agree? Disagree? Let me know what you think in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment