Friday, May 23, 2014

Fashion News Friday 5/23


What’s been going on in the world of fashion this week?

Maleficent’s Horns

So there was some controversy and disagreement on who actually designed and created the iconic piece of the title character’s costume. It was first reported by the movie’s special effects make-up artist that Sarah Burton, creative director for Alexander McQueen, made the headpiece. However, recently Disney contested that claim saying that it was actually Justin Smith, a London milliner, who designed the piece. Angelina Jolie is apparently a big fan of Smith’s work, and she backed up Disney’s claim that he was in fact the creator of the horns. I have obviously not yet seen the film, since it has not yet been released; but from what I have seen of the previews, I imagine it may have a chance at nomination for costumes at next year’s Oscars. If that is the case, they might want to settle who gets credit for this very important piece of the costume soon.

Mick Jagger is Great-Grandfather…and Grandfather?

I know this story isn't fashion related, but I had to talk about it... Mick Jagger’s granddaughter, Assisi Jackson, has given birth to a baby girl. But hold the phone…  Assisi’s mother (Jagger’s daughter) has also been pregnant and is due to pop in a few weeks. So this newborn will have an aunt/uncle who is younger than she is… She could possibly graduate high school with her aunt/uncle… Really? I’m sure this is more common than I realize, but it’s still weird to me. Does it seem weird to you? Anyway, I’ve missed the big picture here. This story is a blatant lie. Mick Jagger did not become a great-grandfather. I still believe he died many years ago, and someone just forgot to tell him.

New Ashish Line for Topshop

Ashish has unveiled a new collection for the retailer Topshop. I will admit I have never heard of Ashish, but I looked at some of the recent collections, and I would describe many of the designs as punk/grunge/hipster and eclectic, in other words, definitely Topshop style clothes. Apparently, Ashish has an obsession with sequins, but this collection is almost devoid of sequins. In their place are LED lights. The collection is inspired by the idea of a chic hotel. One of the shirts reads “My name is… My room number is…” With the printed messages and the LED lights, the collection seems trashy, but fun trashy. What I mean is, it is the point and the joke of the collection to be tongue-in-cheek and tacky. So for the Topshop demographic, the 20-something going out to the club, it’s a good collection. A 40-something going to pick up her kids in the minivan?... I’m thinking no…

Don't forget to leave comments telling me what topics you'd like me to discuss on Monday's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment