Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Trendsday Wednesday 5/28


I’m doing something a little different today. I’ve dabbled in other topics before, but today I’m dedicating the entire blog to another interest of mine, interior design and home décor. Before someone yells at me saying that interior design is not fashion, I’ll placate you by rationalizing my decision. Fashion and trends (after all that’s what Trendsday Wednesday is all about) are not relegated strictly to the realm of clothes. Interior design (and even food) has trends and fashionable elements to it… OK, did you buy it? Even if you didn’t, it’s my blog, and I’ll pretend you did…

So I have a friend who is currently designing and picking out colors and tiles for her and her husband’s house. I’m very jealous of excited for them. It got me thinking, what are the newest trends in interior design, and if I were designing my house would I adopt some of the trends? Honestly, the answer is most likely, “No”. Trends come and go so quickly and home décor is too expensive to keep changing, so I’d probably want to pick something I could live with for a while. But it’s still fun to think about. So here are a few for you to muse over…

Dark Colors
Some interior designers have claimed that what’s big right now is dark and brooding colors. When you paint the walls a dark color, it gives the room a dramatic and moody feeling. If I had a large house, I could easily see myself making the walls of a parlor or lounge a dark gray or even black. I wouldn’t paint them that color; I would use a wallpaper with a geometric print on it. It would set a perfect atmosphere for an intimate party. However, I would never do this in a room where I would be spending a great deal of time. Too much of a dark room for too long would make me a bit depressed, I imagine. Furthermore, dark colored furniture is also a new trend. So many people love white and light colored furniture. But if you have children, pets, a lot of friends, or if you plan on using your furniture at all, you will end up with stains. WHITE SHOWS EVERYTHING! I have seen color of a brand new piece of clothing rub off on white furniture. It’s just a bad idea. Dark furniture, like navy blue, won’t show as much dirt or other foreign substances. In my opinion, the use of dark colors is a great trend, and I think it should stick around for a while.

Interchangeable Accents
I wish I had the money to do this! Unfortunately, slipcovers, rugs, and even pillows can be expensive, but when you think about it, this would be cheaper than changing the complete décor frequently (there I go rationalizing again…). To have the ability to change out many of the accents and accessories with the changing seasons or a change in your mood would be wonderful. This is particularly easy to do when you have a neutral color pallet in the room and your accents, like pillows and rugs, give you the pops of bright color. Switching out the pillows and rugs every few months to a different color gives the feel of a brand new room, and it would still go with the rest of the room’s neutral décor.

Floral Prints
I’m sorry, but this is one thing I don’t want to see come back. I prefer the modern and somewhat minimalist look. Floral prints in interior design are too matronly and old-fashioned for me. As a child, I grew up with a floral pattern on our family sofa. The colors were muted and dark, but it was so busy and had so many flowers, I swear I wanted to start sneezing just from looking at it. And every spring the flowers seemed to multiply. No thank you… floral prints are too traumatic for me. (I feel like I should be reclined on a shrink’s sofa when I say that…)

No comments:

Post a Comment