Monday, May 19, 2014

Make-a-Request Monday 5/19


Hello everyone!

First, allow me to apologize for my absence over the past few weeks. I’ve missed writing my blog terribly. However, school does come first since I’d like to finish my degree and get a job at some point. How selfish of me, I know. I hope I haven’t lost any readers due to the absence.

I would also like to announce that over the summer I will be blogging 5 days a week. I’m still toying with ideas for a weekly layout, and I value and welcome input and suggestions. Here’s what I have so far:

Make-a-Request Monday: During the week and/or over the weekend you can post a comment in any of the previous week’s posts asking me to discuss my opinion on any fashion-related topic, whether it be about a trend, a celebrity’s look, or even if you should buy a certain clothing item or accessory. Just provide a link, if applicable, and I’ll give you my opinion on the Monday blog post.

Fashion Reads Tuesday: The library will open, and I will read to filth anyone I deem worthy. It may be positive; it may be negative; it may WILL be bitchy and shady. You never always know what to expect.

Trendsday Wednesday: I will discuss my opinions on recent fashion trends.

Fashion Reads Thursday: The library will reopen for another installment of shady and snarky celebrity fashion critiques.

Fashion News Friday: I will discuss interesting stories about designers, models, etc.

On to today’s post…
I got the idea for my Monday posts from a friend. She wanted to know my opinion on two topics, so I figured I’d discuss those two topics today, and ask you guys for suggestions for next Monday’s blog. Leave in the comments below. I understand it’s not very easy posting comments from a smart-phone, so you may want to use a computer.

Seersucker suits:

For those of you who do not know, Seersucker suits are casual men’s suits that are characterized by the pairing of a white and colored stripe. The typical colors I have seen are light blue and pink, although apparently there are other color options. They are typically lightweight and worn in the summer. If you want to know the history of the suit, you can read about it in the link above.

In my mind, there are two types of stereotypical guys who would wear these suits: a man watching polo in the Hamptons on a summer afternoon or a Southern gentleman in Charleston sipping a mint julep on his veranda. Personally, I have mixed feelings about these suits. From the two men I described above, at least in my mind, it seems that Seersucker suits are linked with money and class. Also, I’ve felt the material; they are definitely comfortable and would keep you cool in the summer heat while, at the same time allowing you to look good.

However, that’s where the positives stop for me. Seersucker suits are also known for their characteristic “puckered” look. That’s the word others have used. I, on the other hand, would use the word “wrinkled”. Why would you want to wear something that looks like it was rolled up into a ball on the floor of your closet? While you look classy, you also look lazy (of if you’re obnoxiously wealthy, it looks like you don’t know how to hire good help that knows how to use an iron). I know from working with this fabric that it is impossible to get it to look crisp. You can steam out the wrinkles, but as soon as you touch the fabric, all of that hard work gets flushed down the proverbial toilet. Also, I left out part of the mental idea of the type of men who wear these suits from my description above. I called them “classy” and “wealthy”, but I left out “douchey” and “arrogant”. I view Seersucker suits as a status symbol, a way to show off wealth. And it’s not that they are very expensive; I just associate this type of suit with old money arrogance, like the Kennedys or other political dynasty. For those reasons, plus the fact that I view them as old-fashioned, I wouldn’t wear a Seersucker suit.


Track pants

According to Vogue, track pants were a trend from last year (2013). Designers have tried to take the drab jogging pant and make them fabuluxe. Apparently, even Balenciaga made a track pant; however, something tells me Myrtle Snow would not have worn them… I suppose the idea is to look good at all times, even when exercising. I’m all for that. Just because you’re at the gym or running around the neighborhood, that doesn’t mean you have to look unkempt and unpolished. My only concern is paying a designer price for something you’re going to be sweating in and mistreating. But if you have the money, go for it. Grace Helbig, start saving up your money. 

2 comments:

  1. Actually, it's the pucker that defines seersucker fabric, not the colored stripes: http://us.gant.com/solid-seersucker-blazer-military-blue
    I presume the idea behind it is that it can't be ironed so you can't be judged on that. Sort of like broomstick skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My inkling is to vote for the trackpants - I see it as a big step up from having to see women walking around in yoga pants with sweat patches on their buttocks. As for seersucker - I think it is great for toddler's jumpers or overalls but not on grown-ass men.

    ReplyDelete