Friday, June 6, 2014

Fashion News Friday 6/6


What has been going on in the fashion world over the last week?

New Balance sues Karl Lagerfeld

New Balance is suing Karl Lagerfeld over the design of his new shoes. They claim that Karl used a block letter “K” as opposed the New Balance “N”, but otherwise the two shoe designs are identical. I guess Karl should offer to buy the people at New Balance some glasses. I looked at the two shoes, and obviously Karl’s is different and more expensive looking. I agree they look similar, but I would not say “identical”. For one thing, Karl has used better material in his shoes; you can see the shine in the leather of his shoe as opposed to the dull look of the cloth on the New Balance shoe. New Balance is claiming that customers could be confused by the similarities. Obviously, New Balance has no faith in the intelligence of their customers. Karl’s shoes have a large “K” on the side of them. Why would New Balance randomly start using a “K” instead of “N”? I would hope people could reason through that and avoid confusion. However, the cynic in me seeing how people are today, tells me that people may not be that intelligent… Anyway, I DO think that Karl could have made his shoes more different, but I DON’T think that New Balance will win their case based on the points they bring up.


Walk for Karl Lagerfeld

Karl seems to be popping up everywhere this week… Would you like to walk in fashion shows for Karl Lagerfeld and become a new model in the internationally known modeling agency Ford Models? Here’s your chance! Ford Models is recruiting new models via social media. You can upload your photos and selfies along with your “statistics” (I’m assuming that means height and weight) with the hashtag “#walkwithkarl” and put yourself in the competition. Unless someone has a lifelong dream of being a runway model, I don’t see why one would put him/herself through such scrutiny. It takes a lot of courage to put that information out there on social media. Good luck to all who go for it. It’s just another way social media is changing our world. You no longer have to travel to the modeling agencies and meet with them in person for them to notice you. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Let me know your opinion.


Black Widow wants Gucci Job

This is a soap opera or reality show in the making… Patrizia Reggiani was convicted of hiring a hit-man to kill her former husband and head of Gucci, Maurizio Gucci. She has been quoted saying, “I've never worked a day in my life; I'm certainly not going to start now.” However, she seems to have changed her mind. She wants to return to the Gucci label. She feels she has the qualifications simply because she has been “shopping around the world”. I would assume many people could put that on their resume, but I doubt that makes them qualified to work for an internationally known fashion label. Reggiani still asserts that she did not order Gucci’s death. She claims at some point she said, “I wish Maurizio would die,” but she didn’t want it to actually happen. I feel like I’ve seen this movie before… I recognize that plot line… I don’t forsee her getting this position. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment