Monday, June 2, 2014

Make-a-Request Monday 6/2


Today’s post is a mixing of topics, but that is to be expected from a request-a-topic blog post. One topic was suggested to me, and is a food-ish topic.  Another I stumbled across myself as I was perusing Twitter. The last topic I saw discussed on a TV program, and it made me curious to hear others’ opinions. So here we go…

Koolickles

I grew up in south Louisiana, and I have never heard of this. The article says it comes from the “delta region of Mississippi.” I’m not entirely sure where that is referring. The delta region of the Mississippi River is in Louisiana, not too far south from where I grew up in Baton Rouge. And as a child I frequented the Mississippi Gulf Coast on short vacations. Yet I’ve still never heard of or seen this. Perhaps I was sheltered growing up in a metropolitan area… Anyway, I think the idea of a Kool-aid pickle is strange yet oddly fascinating. I can’t help but think it would be disgusting, but at the same time, I really would like to try one. It’s an odd combination of flavors, but grape and rosemary pair wonderfully together, so why not at least try grape and dill? I imagine it would be a great and refreshing way to beat the summer heat. Although, my southern summer snack staple (try saying that 5 times fast…) is frozen grapes… Would you eat one of these? Have you ever heard of them?


WonderLuk

So now that my summer has started, I have had a good bit of free time on my hands. I have used that time so incredibly productively scouring the Internet for fun and interesting things. (Yes, that was sarcasm… I could and should be doing other things…) I was on Twitter, and saw that I was added to a fashion related list. That is where I found this new company. The founder, Roberta, came up with the brilliant idea to use 3D printing technology to create fashion accessories. Each piece can be made as one-of-a-kind. In fact, it is Roberta’s vision to create unique pieces. The first line of her “manifesto” reads, “Don’t blend in. Ever.” I looked at some of the pieces on the website, and I think they are amazing. They are very modern, and geometric shapes and bright colors are available. Take a look for yourself, and tell me what you think. I will admit that I am being a bit of a tease here since they only ship to the “UK and Europe”, but I have a feeling this may catch on, and they will start shipping to the US as well.


Terrycloth Clothing

I was watching Fashion Queens on Bravo last night, and they started discussing clothing made from towel fabric, or terrycloth. Apparently, this was a trend in the late 80s and early 90s, and there is talk of it coming back. I totally see the utilitarian aspect of terrycloth clothing for poolside or on the beach. You go for a swim, and when you get out, you put on a terrycloth robe, cover-up, shorts, skirt, etc. It absorbs a good bit of the water instead of allowing it all to seep through your clothes. So yes, for the beach or pool, great idea and very useful. However, I get nervous when I hear the word “trend” associate with this. To me “trend” means something is popular and pervasive. I really do not want to see a girl or, even worse, a grown woman walking around the mall or grocery store wearing a terrycloth skirt. Not cute. Would you wear terrycloth in public if you weren’t going to the beach or pool? If so, I’m judging you, and please send me a picture so I can feature you in my Tuesday or Thursday posts… Just kidding… sort of…

No comments:

Post a Comment