Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Fashion News 4/16


As you know, Wednesdays are the least amusing days for my blog. I give my opinions on trends and fashion news. It’s still me, the bitter, cynical bitch, but I tone it down a bit. Today’s blog might be a little more restrained than normal. I’m gonna give it a shot. And since no one leaves any comments… yeah I’m talking about you… I’m going to assume you like what I’m doing and have no qualms with it. So here we go…

Style vs. Fashion

Apparently, the Vogue Festival took place recently. Who knew? I guess it’s my job to know, but I’ll admit I didn’t. At one of the talks during the festival, there was a panel discussing personal style and self-expression. The panel brought up a good point that I found very interesting. (Since my chosen field of study is Linguistics, this may only appeal to a few people, but still it’s an important distinction to make.) There is a huge difference between “style” and “fashion”. Some people consider these two words to be “synonymous”; however, that couldn’t be further from the truth.
            “Fashion” deals with trends and what is hot and happening at any given moment. Things that are “in fashion” today may not be in a few months. Sure, some fashions, like the LBD, are timeless; they never leave. But some fashions, like grills, go out rather quickly (Thank   fill in appropriate deity here   ).
            “Style”, on the other hand, is personal. Everyone’s style is different. An LBD, while always fashionable, may not be a particular person’s style. Grills, while not fashionable at this moment, may fit in with the personal style of a gangster. Both scenarios are perfectly fine. Everyone has to find his/her own style and rock it. I know I talk shit about people’s outfits, but those are just my extreme and uncensored opinions. Obviously not everyone will agree with my opinions (although those that don’t are wrong…). Ok, I’m stepping off my soapbox now.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z Tour?

I know this isn’t fashion related, but it was on Vogue’s website, and I want to get your opinions on this… It is rumored that the music power couple may be going on tour together this year. I really don’t know if this is a good idea. This is a recipe for marital disaster in my opinion. I’m not married, and probably never will be, but it just seems to me that alone time is necessary for a marriage to work. Nothing about going on tour together is conducive to having time to oneself. What do you think? Would you go on tour with your spouse? Would you buy a ticket to see these two perform together?

Dior in Brooklyn

I know that Alexander Wang chose to hold his fashion show in Brooklyn, and this upset many people, probably people like Ramona Singer, who at one point thought Brooklyn was in another country… (seasons 1 and 2 of RHONY… Anybody?... No?... Maybe I’m the only one who remembers that.) I wonder if Alex McCord and her hubby will be in attendance… Anyway, Dior is reported to have made the same decision. They will hold an upcoming fashion show in Brooklyn. Knowing there will be people who do not want to traverse the globe to go all the way to Brooklyn, Dior is supposedly providing round-trip car service for their guests. Now that’s customer service.

Please leave your comments. Praise and criticism are equally appreciated. I’m wrapping up a very busy semester of school, but during the summer, I’m thinking of expanding my blog to five days a week. Thoughts? Suggestions for other topics? Leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment