Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Trendsy Wednesday 4/2


For this week’s Wednesday post I’m going to discuss the topics that were brought up on E!’s new show The Fabulist. First of all, I want to say that I love this show. It’s 30 minutes of fun discussion of trends in fashion, food, health, etc. The show is hosted by the beautiful Kristin Cavallari and Orly Shani.

This week topics were:

Oil Pulling:

Am I the only one to have never heard of this? Apparently, you take a tablespoon of coconut or sesame oil and swish it around in your mouth for 20 MINUTES! That’s a long time! I would be afraid to leave the sink for the whole 20 minutes in fear that some oil may drip out of my mouth and stain something. Oil stains are the worst! In my opinion, it sounds downright disgusting. They claim it has health benefits (which you can read about in the link above), but there’s nothing healthy about something that would make me throw up. Sorry, I’m not putting this on my fabulist.

Punk Knot Up-dos:
This link gives you a tutorial on how to make this hairstyle yourself.

This is a cool trend. However, I think it could go very wrong if not done properly, so proceed with caution, ladies. I have a problem with the name though. I don’t understand what about this look says “punk”. Is it just because it’s a little messy? Messy = punk? And is this really a new trend? I feel like I’ve seen this hairstyle for a while now. Don’t get me wrong I think it can look very chic and cool, but I wouldn’t call it “new”. I will say that I would love to see Real Housewife of Atlanta, Cynthia Bailey rock this look. She always has a different hairstyle, and she can pull off anything. I guess I’ll add this “trend” to my fabulist.

Canadian Tuxedo:

For those of you who do not know what a “Canadian tuxedo” is, it is when someone wears denim on denim (a denim jacket or top with jeans or denim dress). I will admit when I was young and naïve, I made the mistake of doing denim on denim. But that’s only because my denim jacket was the warmest jacket I owned. That excuses it, right?... I really don’t like this trend. I don’t care who you are; no one can pull this look off without looking like they’re on their way to a hoedown (I’m referring to the country western style event, not the shooting of a streetwalker or a Kardashian.) This trend is definitely NOT on my fabulist.

Bone Marrow:

I don’t have a link for this one, but the panel did discuss it on the show. I know I normally discuss fashion topics, but the show does deviate from fashion and discusses food trends as well. I found this one to be very interesting, so I figured I’d give my opinion. Apparently, the consumption of bone marrow is becoming a hot thing yet again. I’m sure if you ask some gourmets, this never went out of style, but the average person on the street may never have known that bone marrow was edible. I must agree that the taste of marrow itself is outstanding. That is, after all, where a lot of the flavor is locked during the cooking process. However, the texture of the marrow is not at all appetizing. It’s like eating meat flavored Jell-O… I’ll give you a moment to compose yourself… You okay?... While I could never eat bone marrow in its purest state like some of the hardcore foodies, I do enjoy sauces made with the marrow. That way you get all of the taste and none of the gelatinous texture. Eww… But I will say that I will add bone marrow to my fabulist. Since it’s a versatile food, taste can trump texture in this case.

Driving Gloves:

This is actually a large category. The term “driving glove” can refer to a plain glove that covers the entire hand and can come in any color imaginable or even to a glove with studs and cutouts. The latter type I really don’t care for, but I’m not a studs and punk type of guy. Furthermore, I’m usually a form over function type of guy. I don’t care if it’s uncomfortable; we hurt for fashion. Of course it’s easy for me to say that since the most uncomfortable clothes and shoes are made for women… Sorry, ladies… Back to my point… This is one case that I will put function over fashion. It is so hard to do things with gloves on. On the show, Kristin made a good point when she said that she couldn’t see wearing these gloves while trying to deal with her kids and putting them in the car. I would find it annoying to constantly have to take them off to use my iPhone. You could solve the latter problem by having the gloves with the fingers exposed, but I don’t like the look of those enough to justify someone wearing them. So for those reasons, driving gloves are not on my fabulist.

Let me know what you think. Which of these things is on your fabulist. Does yours match mine? Leave a comment below

1 comment: